Re: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

Greg -

Greg Maruszeczka wrote:
> Jeff:
> The following books really helped me get my head around basic
> OOP and design patterns in PHP, especially the first one
> which directly addresses both PHP4 and PHP5:
>
> 1. PHP Architect's Guide to PHP Design Patterns, Jason E.
> Sweat, PHP Architect Nanobooks, 2005
> 2. PHP 5 Objects, Patterns and Practice, Matt Zandstra,
> Apress, 2004
>
> It also seems like you might be wanting some direction on
> things like ORM and database abstraction. Have you looked into
> what some of the PHP-based frameworks are doing in this regard?
> I know they're PHP5-only but studying projects like Symfony
> and the new Zend Framework have really helped my understanding
> quite a bit.
> Of course, the usual disclaimers apply.
> HTH,
> GM
> Greg Maruszeczka
> Websage Solutions
> http://websage.ca
> skype: websage.ca

Thanks very much for the reply and suggestions. My local B&N just
set aside their last copy of Jason Sweat's book for me to pick up.

As for database abstraction and frameworks, well... that's a big
"maybe" for me right now. Maybe later.

My main goal is to write smarter code that I can (a) find quickly
when I need to fix something and (2) re-use. Today's post was
prompted by my desire to prototype yet another suite of
browse-read-edit-add-delete functions for someone.

Best regards,
JC