Re: Re: languages and PHP

Edward Vermillion wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
>>
>> Ed, your question was a good one, but so was my answer.  In my case,
>> I don't cater to an open community, but to a closed one.  If you're
>> not authenticated, you're not getting anywhere to start with.  If you
>> somehow manage to bypass that, and attempt to submit data I don't
>> expect, my priority is the survival of my application, nothing else.
>>

> But that was my point. Your way, your app may disintegrate at some
> uncontrolled point.

As long as it is only the app, it's not a real problem. If it affects
apache, it's a different issue.  If the app throws a couple of
unexpected exceptions or something, no big deal.

> At least if your checking/validating your input then
> you can take control of the situation and insure the "survival of your
> application". Otherwise who knows where it will break and what it will
> mean when it does.

I agree, but to check for unwanted charactersets and do conversions and
what have you, is way overkill IMOH.

> And just because the community is closed, don't drop your guard on
> basic security practices. You don't control what comes into your site,
> you can only react to it.

I agree - like I said, authentication is required.

/Per