Re: Getting PHP CLI on machine without compiling or changing the other part of the system

Peter Lauri wrote:
Hi,

In a current project we have developed a piece of software that run
independently and that only requires php5 as a CLI component.

Now we want to use this software on other machines, and the only requirement
it that the machine has php5 installed. Fine for now, but then we have
started to get request from clients to use this on their machines, as they
need our software there. Then we informed them that we need to compile php
on their machine. But due to the sensitive machines that they have, they
rejected that idea. So now we need to find a way to have PHP5 on the
machine, without compiling it on their machine and changing their
environment.

Must be pretty sensitive machines. What sort of system is it? redhat based? debian? something else?

You could create a package of some sort, build that on your machine and send that to them.

Providing:
- you're running the same versions (of the main packages - gcc, libc)
- you're on the same type of hardware (i386 compared to amd64 etc).

Even easier - if you're using php that doesn't require any extra components (ie you don't need something like pcntl which isn't in the base php5-cli packages), just get them to install the appropriate package.

If they're running gentoo or *bsd which are pretty much compile-only systems, then you're out of luck.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/