Re: Interesting Rails Vs. PHP article

That's actually a very good article and while I don't agree with some
of it (most notably #6, the I love SQL.. I find a good ORM layer to be
a life saver should you ever need to make database structure changes
without having all your apps collapse all over themselves), I
certainly agree with the main idea: that rails is an excellent
teacher.

My current job is writing PHP code but I once completed a project with
rails and strongly believe that I'm a better PHP programmer because of
it. Rails is basically a very nice implementation of a whole bunch of
enterprise patterns DONE RIGHT! I tend to associate the term
"enterprise" with slow, bloated, overly complicated and barely
functional but in this case, the enterprise patterns implemented are
all worth knowing.

We have our own simple framework that's quite fast and does nothing
more than it needs to. It allows us to write new functionality very
quickly and easily. The place I work has more programmers experienced
with php and therefore it just made sense for me to learn PHP instead
of them all learn Ruby. I still routinely recommend they try rails at
least one, on their own, just for the hell of it because they'll be so
much better afterwards. It's easy to do things the wrong way in PHP
but it's pretty hard with rails. It pretty much forces you to do
things properly and while that can be maddening at first it's worth
the effort.