RE: Getting line count of a text file

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, bruce wrote:
> while you are correct in your assertion that the shell cmds provided are
> specific to linux,

What assertions?  I didn't know I made one.  It's common sense but I
don't recall making an assertion and then asking you if it was correct.

> your assertion/statement that the functions might be 'turned off' are
> fud... basic bash functions are inherently part of the shell....

You must be smoking crack dude, I never said anything about any PHP
functions being turned off.  I said 'renamed'.

> and yes, you are correct in your statement that php is relatively
> cross platform,

What statement?

> however, i imagine that you can quite easily get into situations
> where your php code has to have different branches based upon the
> platform that it's running on...

Bzzzzt!  Wrong.  When the prospective employer asks me if I have any
questions, I always ask if I'll be forced to use or develop against or
touch any M$ products.  If they say yes I get up and leave.  It's quite
humorous the three times I've done it.

> every other language i've ever written for has required me to have
> subtle differences based upon the underlying platform, i'm pretty sure
> php would/can as well.... the assumption here, is that you're getting
> into complex stuff..

I haven't made any assumptions.  Seems the other way around entirely.

--
Greg Donald
Cyberfusion Consulting