From: mike [mailto:mike503@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:18 PM
To: Greg Donald
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Getting line count of a text file

On 9/12/07, Greg Donald <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why?  Shell commands are a lot less likely to change than the
> current PHP function names.
>
> I'm aware the PHP function naming algorithm currently remains a
> secret, but without a doubt, someday someone _will_ crack it.  I
> personally hope this occurs before the renaming of PHP to Java.

if the basic functions i mentioned above change names that one line of
code will be the least of everyone's concerns.

not to mention PHP maintains cross-platform support, whereas shell
commands wouldn't, shell commands may have inherent security risks,
disabled, not installed, selinux or some other weird limitations, etc.
PHP most likely wouldn't have specific basic functions disabled.