Re: PHP 5.2.3 - Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Dear all,

2007/9/12, Lester Caine <lester@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Come on guys, use your heads. PHP is segfaulting when trying to
> >> display its version number - that's not going to have anything to do
> >> with Wordpress.
> >
> > Uh, how do know you it's do with the version-number??  Did I miss that
> > posting?
> >
> > Anyway, I think it's exceptionally poor show by php to cause a segfault,
> > probably due to user code.  I know it does it every now and then, and
> > nobody has ever been interested in looking at the core dump.
>
> Zbigniew has not actually managed to get Apache started with PHP installed so
> trying to debug stuff running in PHP is a little pointless.
>
> Zbigniew - It is most likely one of the extensions is not able to load. I used
> to get the same problem with Windows, but without a seg fault nowadays - just
> a 'can't start'.

First of all - allow me to thank numerous people who tried to help!
Thanks to all of you!

I thought the idea of testing php extensions to see which ones result
in segmentation faults was a very good one indeed. Yes, there is no
scripting issue here. I am unable to even start apache so whatever
scripts I may have, it does not really matter. I am not able to go
very far.

So I commented out all extensions and then brought them in one by one.
The one which was causing core dumps was simplexml.so. I had a few
others that I had to comment as otherwise they were giving me trouble
(because of the simplexml being commented out I guess): pdo.so,
pdo_sqlite.so, spl.so, mysqli.so, sqlite.so.

I am not really worried about these. I am not really sure if I will
ever need them. So fine for the time being. php -v does not produce
core dumps and I can start apache.

There's only one problem left to be solved. After the upgrade php
scripts behave as if they were not recognized. I made a test and put a
standard index.html file in a directory, called a browser and the page
was displayed properly. I then changed the page name to index.php and
ran the browser again. This time the directory content was displayed,
showing the index.php file present in it (it wasn't parsed by the
browser). When I reloaded, the page content was finally displayed in a
browser.

So in other words it seems as if the "php" page was not properly
parsed at first. It happens the same way with my wordpress family
blog. It just shows directory content and when I click refresh
index.php is called into the broser. But links to further php pages
result in directory being shown again.

I do have:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
inside httpd.conf.

Thoughts anyone? Again thank you so much for so many responses. I read
them all and they were very helpful!

Zbigniew Szalbot