Session generating same "Captchas"

Hi All,

I'm having a problem using Captchas. Basically I'm using Joshua Houle's script to generate Captchas. However, I get different behaviors on different systems. On one system I can simply refresh the page and a different Captcha is generated each time. However, on another system, a refresh simply makes it generate the exact same Capthca with a different visible length. For instance, it will always generate length-wise variants "UPGR5MB". . ."UPGR". . ."UPGR5M". . ."UPG". . ."UPGR5". The only way it will change is if I quit my browser and open another. Also, despite the code directive, it always generates a string length of about 20 characters despite the code explicitly stating a random length between 4 and 7. One interesting note, however, is that it does change the color and position of the letters upon refresh.

I would assume that part of the problem would be with $_SESSION, as when I "unset" it, new Captchas are generated. This, however, is unacceptable as I need certain $_SESSION variables later. Currently I'm using the following to solve the 20 character length issue:

$_SESSION['captchastr'] = substr($captchastr,0,$strlength); // $strlength being the $strlength used to generate the length of $captchastr at the beginning of the script

instead of the default code. Any ideas regarding what the differences between servers could be would certainly be appreciated.

Regards,
Michael