Re: Numbers, Numbers everywhere! Need some Dollar help.

On 8/2/07, Dan Shirah <mrsquash2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetins all,
>
> In my form I have an area where the user enters in the payment amount:
>
> <input type="Text" value="" size="20" maxlength="16" name="payment_amount">
>
> This is all fine and dandy and works as generically as it can. BUT, the
> problem is that I need to make sure the user didn't fat finger any of the
> numbers.  For instance, in my generic text field the user types 600 in the
> payment amount and clicks submit.
>
> This works and the user is charged $600.  But, come to find out the user
> meant to enter 6.00 not 600. Can I add a check using PHP to force the user
> to put in the dollar AND cents? This way if a number such as 600 is entered
> and the user hits save, the check will notice there isn't a .00 on the end
> and prompt the user for more information.
>
> Could I incorporate something like:
>
> if ($payment_amount != number_format($payment_amount, 2)) {
>   error here
> }
>
> Or, do you think I would be better off using two text areas?  One for the
> dollar value and one for the cents?
>
> Or, do you think I would be better off trying to find some kind of
> javascript function that would check the value upon submit?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Dan

But what if they type in 600.00?  I understand your logic, but you
can't really save users from themselves.  You can put a notice on
there that says check your price field, but I'm sure the same person
who ignored what they typed in the first time will ignore any hurdles
you stick in front of them until the form submits.

I'm not sure exactly what your form is for, but perhaps you could do a
select dropdown with a few standard rates and then an input for other
amount.  That might help if this is a common issue.

Good luck.