Numbers, Numbers everywhere! Need some Dollar help.

Greetins all,

In my form I have an area where the user enters in the payment amount:

<input type="Text" value="" size="20" maxlength="16" name="payment_amount">

This is all fine and dandy and works as generically as it can. BUT, the
problem is that I need to make sure the user didn't fat finger any of the
numbers.  For instance, in my generic text field the user types 600 in the
payment amount and clicks submit.

This works and the user is charged $600.  But, come to find out the user
meant to enter 6.00 not 600. Can I add a check using PHP to force the user
to put in the dollar AND cents? This way if a number such as 600 is entered
and the user hits save, the check will notice there isn't a .00 on the end
and prompt the user for more information.

Could I incorporate something like:

if ($payment_amount != number_format($payment_amount, 2)) {
  error here
}

Or, do you think I would be better off using two text areas?  One for the
dollar value and one for the cents?

Or, do you think I would be better off trying to find some kind of
javascript function that would check the value upon submit?

Any help is appreciated.

Dan