Re: audio recorder

On 7/31/07, John Pillion <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

:)

> > If it's connected to the client PC (which I'm guessing), then you
> > can't use PHP for recording it, it needs to be done in a client side
> > language, and if you don't want the client to download an application,
> > you have a few options, but there's only one I can recommend, and that
> > is java. But really, you're not on the right list for that ;)
>
> [JP>] I knew PHP couldn't do it... but I was hoping there was a better
> option than Java.  If not, then so be it I guess. Agreed that this isn't the
> right list for that though ;-)

It might be possible with ASP + ActiveX or something like that, but
then your limiting yourself ;) ASP works only fully on Windows servers
, while the mono project does a good part of implementing it, it's not
perfect yet (neither is the official version from microsoft ;) ).
ActiveX works only with IE browser, and with some kind of hacks it is
possible with FF etc too, but also this is far from perfect (and user
friendly ;) )

> > If it's connected to the server, or if it's an Stand Alone app, then I
> > would recommend you looking for some software that does record from
> > the microphone, and use it through system, exec, ``, ... functions.
>
> [JP>] Don't want a stand alone app, as I/they want it as simple and user
> friendly as possible.

Everyone wants that ;)

An example of audio recording in Java:
www.javasonics.com

Or if you're going to write it yourself, you have
a) The Java Sound API (integrated into Java)
b) Java Media FrameWork (http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf)

Tijnema

--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info