Re: Re: The Official OT "Name Tedd's Grandson" Thread

On 7/27/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, July 26, 2007 8:47 am, Daniel Brown wrote:
> > On 7/26/07, Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>     .... or am I going retarded again?
> >

> >     This has been confirmed.  For whatever reason, Gmail isn't showing
> > me the  mark in the subject for this thread.  Perhaps because I'm
> > the OP.
>
> I dunno what they are thinking to rip out the  whether it's on
> threads you started or not.
>
> Do they expect that you actually remember something you typed
> yesterday as a thread you started?
>
> Sheesh!
>
> Nobody does that.
>
> .
> .
> .
>
> Okay, so maybe that's just me.
> :-)

It's quite logical that it is done this way, if you understand how a
mailing lists works ;)

When you send a email to the mailing list, you send it without ,
and so Gmail thinks that's the message title. Once it arrives at the
mailing list server, the server adds  in front of the title, and
sends it to all subscribed members. All members that receive this
message, get the message with  in front. Now when somebody
replies to the list, the title will be something like Re:  Title.
Now when gmail detects that this message still belongs to the same
thread, it adds the message, and keeps the original title. Which is
Title for the OP, and  Title for all other users.

Tijnema
--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info