Malformed Email Date Header

Hi All,

Just a query I have which by the looks of my research into it online, still
exists on various installations around the world.

The websites I build for my clients are scattered over several hosting
servers, and I've noticed that one of them has an issue with the usage of
the mail() function.

The sever is running PHP Version 4.4.2 under Windows NT Server 5.2 build
3790.

Whenever I use mail() to send an email out via a website, it goes out not a
problem, but in the email program, the date received is around 10 hours
ahead. This causes my clients much grief, especially those who have shopping
carts and large numbers of emails and have the incoming emails listed all
out of order because of the future date stamp.

After digging into this somewhat, I had a friend of mine on a freebsd box
got me to email him from one of the scripts, and his *nix mail filtering
software hiccuped on the incoming message complaining that....

04

        Jul 2007 10:11:39 \2701000\n

Now, he sent me the headers of the email that he received, and the "Date: "
line in the headers was showing up as the following

Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 10:11:39 ?1000

With a ? before the 1000, which, but looking at all the other entries for
the date in the headers, they all appear with the correct +1000 in place.

Has anyone come across this or know of a reason why this is happening on
this particular server. I have other hosting accounts on other windows and
linux PHP boxes which do not have this issue. Just one this one server.

Regards

Chris Aitken
The Web Hub Designer and Programmer
Phone : 02 4648 0808
Mobile : 0411 132 075

Making The Web Work........ The Web Hub
 <http://www.thewebhub.com.au/> http://www.thewebhub.com.au/
 <mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Confidentiality Statement:
This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEDGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not the
intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all
copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately.