Re: Bundled GD compiling?

On Sun, July 22, 2007 5:56 am, Tijnema wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Hayden Livingston <halivingston@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm confused as to certain issues regarding the bundled version.
>>
>> The documentation says::
>>
>> "To use the recommended bundled version of the GD library (which was
>> first bundled in PHP 4.3.0), use the configure option --with-gd. GD
>> library requires libpng and libjpeg to compile."
>>
>> "Note:  When compiling PHP with libpng, you must use the same
>> version
>> that was linked with the GD library."
>>
>> This (to me) seems ambiguous. How am I suppose to know which libpng
>> the bundled GD library used? So how should I configure?
>>
>> http://www.libgd.org/FAQ_PHP
>>
>> "./configure --with-gd -with-png-dir=/usr --with-jpeg-dir=/usr
>> --with-freetype-dir=/usr'"
>>
>> The FAQ says this is "all" the features?
>>
>> Thanks a bunch.
>
> THe bundled version of GD isn't compiled yet, it is the source code
> that is bundled, and GD will be compiled when you compile PHP, and so
> it will be allways the same libpng for GD and PHP :)

If you compile things "separately" with different versions in between
one compile and the next, and start mixing and matching your .so (or
.dll) files, you can manage to get the PNG and GD out of sync.

You have to be expert enough to do that, but not expert enough to
realize how foolish it is... That limits the potential idiot pool
quite a bit. :-) [I'm in it, however.]

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?