Re: Denial of Service Attack

Sascha Braun, CEO @ ejackup.com wrote:
Today I was writing an E-Mail here in the List
since that time, my webserver detects a virus
which is described as a denial of service attack.

Thank you fellows!

This is really a reliable list.

I will take a little bit different approach on this.

The other day, I replay to a question from someone that asked about there script not working with AOL or BT... something or other.

That very night, my webserver was DDOSed by IP's that had reverse DNS setup pointing to the BT... network.

This went on for nearly 20 hours, I finally started up pf and blocked all the networks that I saw in my logs.

It was connecting at 508 to 510 connections from the same IP, every once in a while it would change the IP, but they would always be from the same parent company. A different range that they used, but the same company.

So, I think this BT... (hang on let me look it up). . . . . . . .
Ah, here is it  http://news.php.net/php.general/259120

BTOpenWorld    http://www.btbroadbandinformation.com/

It finally stopped sometime around noon on Thrusday.

It wasn't making a complete connection to apache therefor it didn't make any log entries, just opening a port. The port status was SYN_RECV

I only saw this because I was running netstat -nap from the command line

So, I guess to sum up what the guy is talking about, I think he is right. Some of us might have been DDOSed from making posts on this list.

my email address points right back to my web server.....

What does everybody else think?

Jim Lucas