RE: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Wed, July 18, 2007 10:07 pm, tedd wrote:
> At 9:19 PM -0500 7/18/07, Jay Blanchard wrote:
>>  Am I committing copyright infringement by standing in the
>>store and reading the book?
>
> No, because that's allowed.
>
> The publisher and author has given their permission for the book to
> be sold in a customary and industry fashion, which includes allowing
> people to read it "in store". However, the owner of the store may
> limit your reading as HE see's fit. After all, it's his store and his
> goods -- I think he has already paid for the publications and could
> give them away for free if he wanted -- but I may be wrong on that
> point.

They are paid for, more or less, as the delivery/invoicing/billing
aren't in sync.

They might get "returned as unsold" which actually turns into "slash
the cover in half and throw it out" at least in theory.

In the olden days, it often turned into "slash the cover and donate it
and collect tax break", I do believe, but I think that practice was
decried and has decreased.

How much they get back for unsold/destroyed copies, and whether they
are allowed to order new titles in the quantities they desire is
probably a Real Fun game for the store manager to play... Not.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?