Symfony versus CakePHP?

All,

I'm terribly sorry if this is a redundant inquiry. I'm a rather inexperienced developer who's catching on quickly, and looking for a framework to build out a project I've been assigned. I'm more of a read a book and try things out type of learner.

My question to those with more experience, what exactly is the difference between CakePHP and Symfony? I'm looking into both of them for a potential framework to make robust and scalable code. They both seem to try to obtain the same goals with their project, however Symfony has text written about it, etc.

Anyway, thank you for any insight.

- sf