converting extended chars to plain ascii

Hello,

A libarary I'm using (the cybersource api if it helps any) is dying
when I pass it "extended" chars - such as bjorn (two dots over the o -
not sure of the actual name of this char -sorry).

For some reason, the newest version of cybersourc's api aborts on this input.

Can anyone recommend a quick way to strip/convert those chars out
before I pass it to cybersources lib?

I store the data as a varchar in mysql and pull it out in a query.

Thanks for ANY advice. I need to get some sort of fix for this asap.
cybersource are no help.

Thanks.