Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Thursday 19 July 2007, Daniel Brown wrote:

> > I didn't want to get involved in this thread, though it was interesting
> > to read...
> > However, an idea just came into my mind: what if you, as the author,
> > could offer a download for a price which would be the same as what you
> > get after a sold paper copy? According to what you just said, it would
> > be much cheaper for the download than for a paper copy, which might
> > cause more or less of the downloaders of the pirated file to download it
> > legally and pay this smaller price to you.
> > I admit that it won't stop pirating, but it might be good for those who
> > are willing to pay to you, but either can't afford the paper copy or are
> > not willing to pay to the publishing company - and it might increase
> > your revenues a bit too.
> >
> > greets
> > Zoltán Németh
> >
> > > David Powers

>     The problem with that, though, is that a lot of publishers require
> exclusivity, so an author is bound (no pun intended) by contract not
> to publish elsewhere - including on their own website.
>
> --
> Daniel P. Brown

That is, however, a very common argument in favor of online distribution.  It
cuts out the middle-men, reduces costs, saves trees, and increases the
revenue per unit for the original author/artist.  Of course, the copyright
cartels (which includes most book publishers) object to that because they're
the middle-men being cut out, and that's how you get exclusivity contracts,
DRM, and similar anti-artist and anti-consumer bad things.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson