Re: Upload Tracker.

On Tue, July 17, 2007 1:46 pm, Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:
> I'm a little unsure on how to do this but basically when someone uses
> form to upload a file I want to have a popup window come up and so the
> process in percentage of the transfer.  Anyone do this before? Is it
> possible in PHP or do I need to do it in javascript or a mixture of
> both?
>
> Any suggestions, ideas, commands or functions to try to use? I would
> greatly appreciate it.

For this to be a PHP question, you need PHP 5.2 (?) and the new file
upload hook that it supplies.

Otherwise, it's a Javascript/Ajax feature, with PHP being relegated to
not doing much of anything about the progress meter.

Why the BROWSER doesn't provide this feature everybody wants is beyond
my ken...

Surely the browser has some clue how many bytes are uploaded and how
big the file was.

How tricky could it be for Firefox/IE to poke those values into a
couple variables somewhere?

Instead we have a zillion JS hacks by developers generating tons of
traffic back-n-forth to the server to ask it how many bytes it has
received so far...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?