Re: installing php5.2.3 on apache2.2 \w mod_fastcgi

M. Sokolewicz wrote:
Good day,

I've been struggling with this problem for quite a while now, I've looked on google, but to no avail, documentation doesn't help me out either. Now, I know this isn't a pure php problem as such, but rather a problem in the cooperation of apache2.2, php and fastcgi.

So, here's what I have
I compiled php with --enable-fastcgi
by itself, php works fine.

I've installed mod_fastcgi and apache 2.2.4, which work fine aswell (well, apache does, mod_fastcgi is hard to tell :)).

I've got the following in my httpd.conf:
ScriptAlias /fcgi-sys/ /usr/local/apache2/fcgi-sys/
<Location /fcgi-sys/>
    Options ExecCGI
    SetHandler fastcgi-script
</Location>

Action application/x-httpd-php5-2-3 "/fcgi-sys/php-cgi"
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5-2-3 .php5

So, I start up apache (apachectl -k start), it doesn't show any errors or anything. Opening my browser and going to localhost shows the html page I expected to see. So that works.
I've made a file phpinfo.php5 with the contents
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
Now, when I point my browser there, I recieve a 403 Forbidden error:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /fcgi-sys/php-cgi/phpinfo.php5 on this server.

Thinking this is probably some permissions issue, I've temporarily chmodded the php-cgi binary and the php script to 777. After doing that: nothing changed, still the same error.

Ok, so I checked apache's error_log, and saw:
[Mon Jul 16 20:09:33 2007] [error] [client 192.168.2.100] client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/apache2/fcgi-sys/php-cgi [Mon Jul 16 20:10:36 2007] [error] [client 192.168.2.100] client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/apache2/fcgi-sys/php-cgi [Mon Jul 16 20:15:04 2007] [error] [client 192.168.2.100] client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/apache2/fcgi-sys/php-cgi

ok, that's weird... Well, I decided to google this, and the few pages that talked about this (or something close to this) all stated that it was due to apache being closed down pretty much by default, and they recommended easing the restrictions a bit by adding a .htaccess file in the webroot with:
<Location />
      AllowOverride None
      Order Deny,Allow
      Allow from all
</Location>

I did that, no help. I even added a
<Location />
    Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

just in case, but that did not help either.
However, if I (from the commandline) skip apache and simply issue a:
/usr/local/apache2/fcgi-sys/php-cgi /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/phpinfo.php5 > phpinfo.html it will run just fine, showing the exact output I expect, and the phpinfo.html file is visible via the browser just fine aswell.

So, I'm guessing this is an issue in apache-configuration or fastcgi-configuration, but I'll be damned if I know what to do now...

any pointed would be welcome.

cheers,
- Tul

So, I'm guessing that although fastCGI is one of the recommended ways to go (it's been named a lot on internals lately), there's little (understandable) documentation about setting it up (in combination with php) around, nor really many people who would have a clue as to what might be wrong here? Damn... :(

- Tul