Re: PHP short tags: Questions

On 7/14/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You must have missed this:
http://php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#remove-support-for-and-script-language-php-and-add-php-var

Actually, yes, I did.  I'll have to read through some of that stuff.
Thanks for the link!

>     Also note that, with shorthand output, the echoed output does not
> need a semicolon at the end if it's a single line.  I generally do it
> out of habit, but for the purpose of illustration here, I omitted the
> semicolon.  Additionally, a disclaimer should be made in favor of the
> anti-short_open_tags people, where the three lines can safely coexist
> on one.

The omission of the semi-colon is not related in any way, shape, or
form to the short open tag.

It works completely independently of that.

I'm well-aware of that.... it was for illustrative purposes and
further discussion only.

It also is completely irrelevant how many lines you use to type the
code, nor how many lines of PHP there are.  This is perfectly valid
code:
<?php
  echo 'foo'
?>

   See above.

I do not foresee this feature disappearing, personally, but I'm not
involved in making that decision.

   While we may not be directly involved in the ultimate decision, it
still doesn't hurt to mention that it's probably not a Good Idea[tm]
to remove the short_open_tags option.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272