Re: About Fraud Prevention

On Tue, July 10, 2007 1:51 pm, Kelvin Park wrote:
> I'm trying to make a program with PHP, that prevents ecommerce fraud
> orders.
> Technically, what's the most effective way to prevent fraud orders on
> e-commerce web sites?

Don't take orders.

Oh.

You probably want a better answer than that.

Well, it could fill volumes, most likely...

You basically want to just take this whole problem and shove off MOST
of it onto the experts' shoulders by having the bank processing the
credit cards, rather than trying to do much of it yourself.

The merchant accounts have different options...

Getting the users' address and using the AVS (Address Verification
System) so that you aren't just taking raw credit card numbers can
help.

Using that "extra" 3 (or 4) digits on the back of the card can help.

I understand that at least one site simply won't ship to an entire
country, after being burned several times by scammers who routinely
infiltrate the mail system of said country, and packages just plain
disappear long before the fraud comes to light.  Now if I actually
knew what country that was, it would be of more use, but there it
is...

You also should check out what some of the more popular shopping cart
packages do in this arena -- They pretty much all suck all around, but
some of them must have something you can glean from them.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?