Re: getting timestamp for first day of current week

what i need is that "monday" means "monday this week", regardless of
whether i ask on monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday,
saturday or sunday.

the way php works now, i have to something like this:

 if(date("l") == "monday")
   $from = date("Y-m-d"); // if today if monday, just give today's date
 else
   $from = date("Y-m-d", strtotime("last monday")); // when asking on
tuesday thru sunday

it would be nice if strtotime understood the form "monday this week".

On 04/07/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 22:14 +0200, Olav Mørkrid wrote:
> On 03/07/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If that's ALWAYS the case then it sounds like you have all the
> > information you need to get the Monday you want :)
>
> what do you mean?
>
> php clearly makes a mistake in giving monday of the current week.

I don't see how you figure "clearly makes a mistake". For instance the
following script illustrates a VERY clear behaviour that doesn't seem
mistaken to me, it seems more like a design choice:

<?php

    $days = array
    (
        'Monday',
        'Tuesday',
        'Wednesday',
        'Thursday',
        'Friday',
        'Saturday',
        'Sunday',
    );

    foreach( $days as $day )
    {
        echo date( 'Y-m-d', strtotime( $day ) ).' ('.$day.")\n";
    }

?>

You'll notice that it always presents the first such date from TODAY
ONWARDS.

With that in mind it is trivial to get the date YOU want.

Cheers,
Rob.