Re: Re: php security books

Andrew Hutchings wrote:
> Avoid the O'Reilly one as it is flawed.

Hollow claims are disrespectful and harmful to professional discourse.
Perhaps you are motivated to persuade others that this is true and will
do so at any cost, even if it means spreading misinformation. I'm aware
of one person who does exactly this, so maybe you're just a victim of
his propaganda. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the
latter.

The entire errata is published online and has been maintained very
diligently:

http://phpsecurity.org/errata

I would argue that none of these errors constitute poor security advice,
whereas I can't say the same for the other books I've read on the
subject. (I don't want to disparage anyone's hard work, and feel free to
discount my opinion as biased.) The errata is there for you to form your
own opinion, and if you actually do know about something that isn't
listed, then please disclose it. "Put up, or shut up."

There's nothing worse than poor security advice, but the fear of being
wrong can't prevent us from sharing what we've learned. I have nothing
but contempt for those who, for their own personal benefit, want to
silence and discredit the people who are trying to help. The PHP
community is one of the most open, friendly, and helpful communities
around, and I think we are also one of the most security-conscious as a
result.

If you'll look through the reviews, you might notice that many leading
PHP and web application security experts highly recommend it:

http://phpsecurity.org/reviews

Are all of these people fools, or is it really a good book?

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
http://shiflett.org/