Re: NAT Traversal

Stut wrote:
> Fahad Pervaiz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to get the actual IP of a client behind NAT or a Firewall. Is
>> there
>> anyway to traverse NAT to get the actuall/real IP of the client to check
>> weather its reachable directly or not.
>>
>> OR Is there anyother way to do that. Plz suggest
>
> No, you can't. And even if you could it wouldn't do you any good. Think
> about what NAT does and you'll realise why.
>
> As for firewalls... if there was a way around it there'd be no point in
> having the firewall.

Yeah the only way would be to get the client to supply it.

As Stut says I'm not sure why you'd gain anything from doing this as you
would not be able to contact that IP directly anyway.

If you are trying to open a connection to the client machine from the
server this is pretty much impossible.

Either the firewall would have to forward an external port to the
internal client you could use or you could use something along the lines
of UDP packets sent to the firewalls NAT return ports in a way that
fools it into thinking it is a reply to an outgoing package. This is
(roughly) how methods such as STUN work for routing SIP traffic around
NATed firewalls.

However all this said, all of this is client driven, and I can't
actually think of a reason for even trying to do this that isn't....
erm. dodgy! :p

Col