Re: str_replace new line

jekillen wrote:

On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:07 PM, jekillen wrote:

On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Greg Donald wrote:

On 6/30/07, jekillen <jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello;
I have the following  code:

$prps = str_replace("\n", ' ', $input[3]);

Are you sure $input[3] doesn't have two newlines at the end?

Why not use trim() to be sure?

  $request = str_replace("// var purpose = {} ;\n", "var purpose =
'$prps';\n", $request);

In the first line $input[3] is a string formatted with new lines at the
end of each line.
It is to be used to initialize a javascript variable (in the second
line above), in an html file
template.
When the html file is generated from the template, the javascript
written to it fails
with unterminated string literal error message.
When opening a view source window, the 'var purpose...' line does have
the string
broken up with extra spaces at the beginning of each line. This
indicates that
the new line was not replaced with the space. The space was merely
added after
the new line.
How do you replace a new line with php in a case like this?

Why do you want to replace it, you just said you wanted to remove it above?

So it will not cause javascript errors when written as a javascript variable value
The out put goes like this:
var string = 'this is some text(\n)
with a new line in the string.'
It cause a javascript unterminated string literal error because of the line break caused by the new line. I need to replace the new lines with spaces so it is
one long string.
It is that simple, Please.....

Do you use Firebug?  It's a Firefox extension.
I do not need to debug the javascript, It is the php which
is tedious to change and retest.  The php code writes
the javascript to an html file, So I need to change the php
or find another way.

Does anyone have a simple answer to a simple question?
I am trying to replace newlines in a string with spaces. The code
I posted originally is not working. Perhaps I am doing something
wrong in that code,
That is all I am asking.
JK

$out = str_replace("\n", '\n', $in);

This will actually have a \n show in the javascript, so when it is printed/used by JS it will have a line feed in the output of JS.