Re: Small LAMP install/distro

On Saturday 23 June 2007 04:29, Tijnema wrote:

> > 3) This is basically the same as point 1, but I think it's still
> > worth making. I don't know about anyone else, but this is 1 of 14
> > lists I subscribe to. Keeping track of what's happening in all
> > great deal if context is built into the messages.
> >
> > In my opinion these are the reasons why top posting is bad etiquette.
> > It devalues the usefulness of the discussion.
> >
> > -Stut
>
> I agree with you on all 3 points stut!
> For point 3, i'm not on 14 lists, but on 4, but it's the same problem
> for me.

Using personal problems to justify things is not going to cut any ice with
the crowd that persists in top posting, eg TG has already cited his
personal problems - the use of crappy mail clients, and "him knowing what
you were talking about without having to read the question.. because he
knew what was being discussed in this thread". If they're not going to
listen to common sense and best practices then they're sure not going to
care about others personal problems. This is the cue for Robert Cummmings
to jump and proclaim that people are sheep for following best practices.

On Saturday 23 June 2007 02:19, tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Bottom posting makes sense if you're using papyrus scrolls.  Or are
> forced into a linear discussion format for some reason.  Email is a
> little more flexible than that.

This is a mailing list, not email. What you do in your personal email is
your own business. But when using a mailing list, following best
practices makes things easier for everybody.

--
Crayon