Re: Re: php framework, large site

On 6/18/07, Crayon Shin Chan <crayon.shin.chan.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 19 June 2007 02:04, Nathan Nobbe wrote:

> discouraging new framework development is like telling the people of
> the world never to develop a new flavor of linux.

There are no new flavours of linux. You're probably mixing it up with
linux distributions of which there are many.
it seems to me most people use the terms flavor and distribution
interchangeably when referring to linux.

Most of which are, whilst
not exactly useless, have limited appeal. Yes they are fun and I love
trying them out. I also make customised livecds for my own personal use.
But the vast majority of these linux distros are based on "distro A",
which is based on "distro B", which is based on "distro C", ..., which is
based on "distro Z", which is based on either Debian, Redhat, Slackware
or Suse. However for real work I would only use a major distro where I
can expect timely updates and security fixes.
although gentoo linux [the only os i run] is designed on the same
basic concept of freeBSD it is entirely unique; basically a freeBSD
rewrite w/ the linux kernel; o, it can run w/ the freeBSD kernel too.
in effect a completely new breed of os was born; and i didnt catch
that one on your list; probly because it is essentially "distro Z", so
to speak.

> we all know its a massive undertaking, but there is merit and purpose
> in it nonetheless.

And just what might the "merit" and "purpose" be? We can probably conclude
that the "purpose" is to facilitate the creation of a "large site", but
the OP never said what/whether there is any merit. But the creation of
a "large site" does not imply that there needs to be a new framework, so
the "purpose" is not clear.

i suppose i began to think in general terms rather than the context of
this thread.

> and you never know a new one could just become the best one.

Look, if the OP has what it takes to build "the best" framework he would
have just gone ahead and did it instead asking. That is not to say that
in future when he has more experience he could not go on to build a
kickass framework.

agreed