Re: Edinburgh, Scotland: PHP Developer Position

Daniel Brown wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Tijnema <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > >

>> >    Ten thousand dollars for a college degree?  Where the hell is
>> that school?!?
>> >
>> >    When I was in college, I paid more than that per year, and it
>> > wasn't even /that/ good of a school!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Daniel P. Brown
>>
>> Well, here in the Netherlands, I'm not totally sure about the prices
>> but in € it's about the price we pay...
>> Government pays the rest.. :)
>> IIRC, it was €2.5K for the college itself, and €1K for studying books
>> each year, well, nearly all studies are four year here, so that means
>> about €14K total.
>> Close to €10k ;), but let me correct it, it's nearly $19K.
>> So that means working 19 years :P, or get $2K extra each year :)
>>
>> Tijnema
>>

>    Here, you either have to be destitute, a minority, have done
> something extremely beneficial to humanity, know someone in political
> power, win a lottery, or serve at least one full tour in the armed
> services to get free money from the government for school.  They'll
> gladly give you loans, though.... at 14-19% APR or higher.

we have a more social system in holland - although the figures Tijnema is
quoting are crap unless you assume that mummy and daddy pay for just
about everything but the actual book and study fees.

I know one guy that has 90,000 euro debt from medical school - admittedly
he's taken 7-9 years (he had a stopyear I believe) but nonetheless you get the
point (especially if you know that the guy also had various parttime jobs during
that time)