Re: Edinburgh, Scotland: PHP Developer Position

Jochem Maas wrote:
> Edward Kay wrote:

>> But the advert is for a GRADUATE developer ;) Whilst your messages to this
>> list show you know a lot about PHP, I doubt you've managed to fit a degree
>> in yet :)
>
> What does a graduate php developer earn in Scotland? and is it
> the the piece of paper that's important or is it a reference to the
> general skill level (personally I don't see much direct corellation
> between academic capabilities and practical coding/sysadmin skill).
>
> just thinking out loud guys :-)

Yeah I know what you mean. The bit of paper isn't really all that
important, but it's the pool of people where you are most likely to get
good candidates. I certainly wouldn't turn someone away if their skill
set looked good but they didn't have a degree.

Coding ability is obviously important but as it's a small company,
fitting in with the ethos and ethics of small companies is equally
important (if not more so).

If I'm being honest I never finished my final year at Uni because I was
off starting my own company. I did get a bit of paper but it wasn't as
fancy as the one I'd have gotten if I'd finished that last year!

One thing that is important is that hiring someone is expensive. Not
necessarily in terms of $$$ but in terms of time and integrating new
people into the team, learning the processes and such (it all boils down
to $$$ in the end of course!), so another key thing I'd personally like
to see is the commitment to the cause! If someone comes on board for 6
months this is not ideal, but if they stick around for 2 years+ then
this is perfect! This is always hard to judge for everyone tho' as
people (and companies) change.

Col