Re: Re: London PHP salaries

On 6/14/07, Chris <christian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nope, that is Euros. But imagine that i pay 250 for my car each month, 330
for rent, then I have a girlfriend who lives an hour away... gosh, that
little bit of money is going down like the titanic *g* Been thinking of
selling some scripts of mine on the internet tho to make some more... let's
see what my boss has to think about that *gg*

Cheerio mate

Chris

""Daniel Brown"" <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On 6/14/07, Chris <christian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Daniel
>
> My net (after taxes) are about 22k. So you better think twice before
> moving
> to germany ;o)
>
> Chris
>
> ""Daniel Brown"" <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 6/14/07, Colin Guthrie <gmane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Chris wrote:
> > > Hi Javier,
> > >
> > > well, in germany (at least what I have seen so far)... the min offer
> > > was
> > > around 23k. I get about that money myself, and I live really cheap,
> > > with
> > > cheap car (cheapest you can get), and a girlfriend who doesn't need or
> > > want
> > > much. So if you have a family, in a town like London: go for at least
> > > twice
> > > that. AT LEAST :o) go for 30k, and if they don't wnan give you that,
> > > you
> > > better stop thinking about that job.
> >
> > Also make sure you don't get confused with currencies and remember we
> > still use GBP in UK, not EUR!
> >
> > Consider that London Underground general workers can be on £22k and I'd
> > suggest as a lead PHP developer in Zone 1 you'd be looking for at least
> > £30k (GBP NOT EUR!) but probably more considering relocation costs and
> > family considerations etc.
> >
> > Col.
> >
> > --
> >

>     Shit, *I* need to move to London, Spain, or Germany.  As the
> senior PHP/Unix geek in my company (not "a" senior, "the" senior), I
> only make a salary of $31,200 with barely any benefits.  That comes
> out to 23,443.39 EUR, or 15,844.62 GBP at present (courtesy of
> XE.com).
>
>     The area I live in doesn't offer much in the way of technical
> jobs, so any of you considering moving to America, keep in mind the
> difference in economic climates and microclimates, as well as the
> salary-to-cost-of-living ratio (which is shrinking rather quickly).
> --
> Daniel P. Brown
> [office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272
> [mobile] (570-) 766-8107
>
> --

    Yeah, but that's not in US Dollars either, is it?

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

   Okay, some financial disclosure on my part --- a kind of "open
source financial report," if you will.  All figures are in US Dollars.

   I gross ~$2,400 per month.
   After taxes, I lose $291.72 with each check.
   After insurance, my total net check is about $877.97.
   My truck payment is $471.60 per month.  Car insurance is about $200/mo.
   Rent for my house is $500 per month, plus utilities.... so about $900/mo.
   With gas being roughly $3 per gallon, it costs me about $70/wk ($280/mo.)

   Those bills don't include my servers, groceries, cell phone, and
other daily expenses, let alone "spending money" or savings (virtually
nil right now).

   So, with bills alone, it costs me a minimum of $2,700.  That
leaves me with about $900 extra.... which then goes to repaying loans
and debts, totally about $450 total.  So after spending some money at
the bars or to do stuff to keep myself sane, I usually have very
little, if any, left over at the end of the month.  And with working
between 60 and 70 hours per week, average minimum, it's a little
disheartening, to say the least.

   With regard to the post about skills, I'd consider my skills to be
well above average, at least, but even at that, shouldn't a PHP
programmer at a full-time job be worth more than $15 per hour,
average, even at a basic level?  Sadly, that's about all I'm pulling
in at present.  With my own company, I averaged $25 per hour, which
was rather comfortable, but then I also had to run the complete
operations (billing, collections, et cetera), and would suffer for
clients bailing on me or not paying in full, on time (which, as I'm
sure most of you know, happens with a semi-regular frequency).

   Again, though, like I said --- I really do have faith that this
company is going to really achieve some fantastic results in our
field, and I think that all of us who are really putting in the time
and hard work (the president/founder of the company works every day,
just like the rest of us, so there's no unfair balance) are going to
reap the benefits fairly soon.  As long as I can keep things together
in the meantime.

   Nonetheless, it doesn't mean I'm not contemplating the offers as
they come in.  My (computer) forensic background has gotten me some
rather tantalizing offers as well, I just haven't snapped any up.  So
again, if this doesn't work out, I certainly have no one but myself to
blame.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272