RE: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 23:12 -0400, Jake McHenry wrote:
> I've been reading along, very informative :) I found Osama within 20 seconds
> and as someone posted already, looking for his head wouldn't be much of a
> task for a computer.
>
> Has anyone tried cracking/hacking what Microsoft has done with the animal
> pictures?

It was mentioned last time CAPTCHA came up :)

>  That seems rather easy for even preschoolers, but a human non the
> less. They have many people working on this exact subject, and being paid
> I'm sure more than what its worth, but is there even a discussion if they
> have the answer?

Microsoft? An answer? *teehee* Like they figured out OS security over
the past 20 years?

>  Other than the completely blind, anyone can tell what a cat
> is

A computer can md5() fingerprint images that are the same or fingerprint
parts of the image.

> , and they could even take it further by added a bark or meow or something
> similar. Can a computer tell the difference between a bark and a meow?

It can by sampling the sound signature. Similar to how voice control
systems can convert our spoken words to commands (speech to text is
quite common now).

>  Each animal has its unique vocal tones and cry signature... just as a human
> (who's not impersonating, which as long as its not a picture of the mocking
> bird.......), does this help at all? Instead of relying on our own known
> dictionary and numbers.... Everyone knows about animals...... My 0.02

Cheers,
Rob.