Re: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 17:09 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Robert ,
>
> Thank you for replying.
> > No, PHP can do it. If you can work with pixels (and you can) then you
> > can do any advanced mutation of an image... the only issue is how long
> > it takes to perform the mutations.
> >
> That's good to know. I think I can live with a little server time to
> generate the images, so long as they work well.
>
> > Check out the freecap code perhaps
> I'm assuming you mean this one:
> http://www.puremango.co.uk/cm_php_captcha_script_113.php

Yes, that's the one. It was the first I stumbled upon that I felt would
offer some degree of protection. I imagine at some point when I have
more time I will create my own CAPTCHA, wrapping ugly code makes me feel
dirty inside :)

> > Good CAPTCHA - bots can't figure it out
> > Bad CAPCTHA  - bots can figure it out
> >
> Well, yes, but what exactly determines that is not obvious to me. I came
> across this page:
> http://sam.zoy.org/pwntcha/
> ... which conveys a feeling that some CAPTCHAs that look good actually
> aren't.
>
> According to this page, the Yahoo CAPTCHA image, which looks quite
> minimal to me, is actually one of the better ones.

The yahoo one does some morphing and disturbs alignment and angle. Then
the black lines running through make edge detection difficult as well as
detection of colour distribution patterns. As they say though, sometimes
it's difficult for a human to understand what is presented.

Cheers,
Rob.