From: Tijnema [mailto:tijnema@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: June 8, 2007 7:00 PM
To: Tom Cruickshank
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Problems connecting to mysql

On 6/9/07, Tom Cruickshank <tcruicksh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>   I was using a FAMP (FreeBSD Apache MySQL PHP) server for some web
> development I was doing. Then I had to switch over the php pages to a
Linux
> box, however, the database is still on FreeBSD. Does that make any
> difference?
>
> The reason why I ask is because I keep getting this error.
>
> I use "die ('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());"
> Could not connect: Can't connect to MySQL server on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (13).
>
> If I use "die ('Could not connect: ' . mysql_errno());"
> Could not connect: 2003
>
> I did some research on error 2003 and it appears that I would see this if
> communication access was not established.
>
> However, if I try connecting to the mysql database using the command line
> I have no problems.
>
> Mysql -u some_user -p -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> This only started after I started using linux as web server and freebsd as
> database.
>
> If there is a more appropriate mailing list to ask this questions, please
> feel free to direct me towards it.
>
> Tom

Since the database is on FreeBSD, it's a seperate machine?
This probably means that you're not allowed to connect to the machine
by LAN, but only through localhost, and you should take a look at your
mysql config file on the FreeBSD machine.
Where do you run the command line? on your freeBSD machine or your Linux
box?

Tijnema

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.