Re: Re: Re: php-cli vs python

On 6/7/07, Abdullah Ramazanoglu <ar018@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel Brown dedi ki:
> On 6/7/07, Man-wai Chang <toylet.toylet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  --8<--

>     Interesting reading:
>         http://wiki.w4py.org/python-vs-php.html

Really interesting. It was a relief for me to see that even a somewhat
biased document written by python champions didn't reveal serious
advantages over php enough to consider dual language programming.

However, there's a general perception of php as a "web-only" language, and
all the comparisons I find -this one included- end up comparing the two as
web programming languages. What I really need is a comparison regarding
pure cli or gui projects.

I found one intersting item though: Under the "What does Python have that
PHP doesn't?" header, there's a bullet stating that "support for all major
GUI frameworks". I know that both php and python have support for gtk. Am
I to understand from this statement that python has also support for qt?

Kind regards,
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu
aramazan ÄT myrealbox D0T cöm

   If I'm not completely mistaken, I think that Python can even
interface with the GNOME libraries.  PHP could theoretically do that,
as well, if someone went through and created extensions for it all.

   PHP is an excellent command-line interpreter, in my opinion.  I'd
say that, in all of my day-to-day PHP programming, about 60% of the
code is for the web, with 35% being run from the command line, and 5%
magically disappearing, to loud screams of frustration and broken
coffee mugs.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272