php-cli vs python

Hello,

I'm already (going to) use php for web based development. Shell scripting
and compiled languages have their own places, but there's also a place for
a high level scripting language. While people usually use python (for
higher level and perl for lower level tasks) for this, I really wonder
whether this would be worthwhile for me.

I have just cursory info about python, and I'm by no means a php expert. So
I can't reliably compare the two, but my rationale so far is simple: If
php5, with its enhanced object oriented features and rich libraries is on
par with python on the command line, then wouldn't it make better sense
for me to use php for both web and cli/gui development?

Nevertheless, I can't ignore the fact that people do use python almost
exclusively for high level CLI/GUI scripting. Where's the catch? What's
the top 3 killer features of python against php (and vice versa)?

Any ideas, pointers, analysis, insights are most welcome. This is a rather
strategical crossroads for me, and I'd very much like to make an informed
decision.

Thank you and kind regards.
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu