Re: Error logging

I suggest  each student adds the line
error_reporting(E_ALL);
This will echo the errors and will not affect the php.ini settings.
Hope that will work for you

cheers

On 5/31/07, Clark Alexander <calexander@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have the following php.ini settings:
error_reporting  =  E_ALL
display_errors = Off
display_startup_errors = Off
log_errors = On
log_errors_max_len = 1024
ignore_repeated_errors = Off
ignore_repeated_source = Off
report_memleaks = On
track_errors = Off

on a SuSE 10.1 server and the errors are being logged to
/var/log/apache2/error_log
(although I can't seem to find a setting that is making that happen.)

parse errors ARE being logged to this file and that would be extremely
useful information for students to be able to have when trying to find
problems in their scripts. I can't just make that file readable to them.

So, I had students create a "logs" directory within their file area and
set
the permissions so that the server can to it. I have them adding the
following to the script(s) that they wish to troubleshoot:

ini_set("log_errors", "On");
ini_set("error_reporting", E_ALL);
ini_set("error_log", "logs/error_log");

Parse errors are not being written to their personal log file, though. Why
not?? About the only going in there are NOTICE level entries.

Thanks.

Clark W. Alexander

Tumwijukye Vincent
Programmer & Software Architect