Re: a question on session ID and security

On Mon, May 28, 2007 6:46 pm, Davis Chan wrote:
> Hi! I am developing a site with some authenticated users only
> features.
> I would like to know if the following is true:
>
> 1. script for login process is located on a SSL-enabled server, so
> usernames and passwords are encrypted.
> 2. upon successful login, user is relocated to a non-SSL-enabled
> server
> which hosts the scripts that contain the authenticated-user-only
> features.
>
> So, while usernames and passwords are protected by SSL, the PHPSESSID
> is
> not. In other words, anyone who captures that HTTP GET packet can get
> the session ID. Is that true?

True.

> Another question is while that session ID is valid only before an
> unset() and a session_destroy(). So the attacker who has the session
> ID
> must fake the session before the real user logout. Is that true?

Define 'logout'...

Website visitors rarely 'logout' -- They just close the browser, or
not, and walk away.

If it's their bank account they MIGHT take the time/effort to logout,
but if there's no loss to them for somebody else to "borrow" their
account, they won't feel a pressing need to logout.

I would recommend that you just leave the authenticated stuff in SSL
the whole way through.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?