Re: Streaming download to IE doesn't work

On Tue, May 29, 2007 6:37 pm, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> Actually, that blog had absolutely nothing to do with my problem
> ( thanks for RTFP!). Not only that, but the recommendation that I
> construct URLs:
>
> http://address.com/script/thing=2/this=3/that=4/download.txt
>
> is patently ridiculous.

Why?

> Anyway, for people who will stumble across
> this
> bug in the future, check out:
>
> http://terra.di.fct.unl.pt/docs/php/function.session-cache-limiter.php.htm
>
>  ... in particular, adding:
>
> header("Cache-control: private");
> header("Pragma: public");
>
> fixed things perfectly. Also note that things worked perfectly with
> normal http access from the start; this is required for streaming
> downloads to IE over *https*

I highly recommend you now re-test your application in every browser,
every minor version, every release you care about, on every OS
major.minor you care about.

Because every time you add another header like that to "fix" a browser
issue in IE/Firefox/Netscape, you just end up breaking some other
browser that interprets things differently.

You also need to test with AOL and with various proxy/caching servers
in between your site and your browser, as some will, unfortunately,
interpret those headers differently.

I will wager that if you conduct a full-scale test, you will find at
least one combination which is now broken by your fix.

I even once ran across a vanity-branded browser (IE re-branded with
AT&T logo) where the version numbers in "About IE" were exactly the
same, but the browser sure didn't act the same with headers like those
-- Probably some kind of buglet in version control, but there it is.
The client, AT&T, was not gonna give up their vanity-branded browser.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?