Re: Developer / Client Documents

I am trying to start a small (Read: Tiny) web development company from
home,
which will handle only a few light contracts. I have been spending some
time
searching Google for common documents used by developers and their clients
to help layout all the goals and features the site might have.
Unfortunately
since I have not obtained any formal education, I am experiencing a slight
fish-out-of-water syndrome, and am not even sure of the names of the
documents I am seeking. I would be eternally grateful if some experienced
developers would point me in the right direction; any documents related to
planning the website, contracts, really anything would be considered
useful.

What you are looking for are project development and project management
books that describe how projects are organized, documented, etc...

First, google "design patterns gang of four"
Second, visit
http://trac.seagullproject.org/wiki/Standards/SoftwareBestPractices
Third, look at: http://trac.seagullproject.org/wiki/Standards
Fourth, visit: http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/projectmanagement
   and http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/designpatterns

Also, I might suggest:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/webdbapps2/

This will give you most of what you're looking for. Think XAMPP for a
localhost install to run tests, and MySQL for a database backend (part of
XAMPP):

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

It will take time. Good luck!

--
Jared Farrish
Intermediate Web Developer

Abraham Maslow: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see
every problem as a nail." $$