Re: RE: Cannot access file on Network Drive (Windows 2003)

Well, I'll say you've dramatically upped the ante by having an Apache server
on a windows box attempt to mount and read a file on a MacOS machine. Yipes!

So let me get this straight:

* Apache is on Windows Server 2003.

* PHP is running on Apache.

* A folder containing scripts/data/both is on a MacOSX machine.

* A user from frontierland knocks on PHP's front host.com:80 door and says,
"Please..."

* PHP -> Apache: "Gimme gimme [resource P]"

* Apache says, "Ok, let me get the data from location X."

* Apache -> location X: "Pretty Please, gimme gimme."

* location X -> Apache: "[barf]"

* Apache -> PHP: "No luck."

========

Can you, from the Windows 2003 machine, manually access the folder/file that
you're asking PHP (through Apache) to access? Unless the service that Apache
is running under has permissions to communicate with the share resource
(location X), this will always fail.

Steps:
1) From Win2003 box, open My Computer and attempt to physically navigate to
the remote network share you attempting to access. If at all possible, use
the exact user permission set that Apache runs under. To determine this,
right-click on the bottom, right corner of the Win2003 desktop above the
time and select "Task Manager," Processes tab, click to sort on Image Name
tab, and look for Apache.exe. The user name associated with this executable
will be the permissions you will need to use.

2) If you cannot connect to the network resource, then at least you have a
permissions issue (it may be others, though). Get this working first.

3) If you can connect, open, read, write, and execute from this permission
set (user/group), then you're at least sure that the machines can talk.
Next, you will need to determine if the Apache UID permissions are acting up
(in Safe Mode, this is entirely possible, and a black art in itself...).

4) Once you've determine Win/Mac communications and Apache server
permissions aren't impeding the process, you can work on the actual script
issues which may be present.

Remember, the computers need to be able to communicate and interact, then
apache/IIS/other, then PHP. Verify the simplest potential problems first,
then work your way up into the place where the problem currently exists.
Getting Macs to be on speaking terms with Win machines, I would think, would
be a MAJOR headache if you've never done it before. One essentially speaks
Polish, while the other speaks Italian.

--
Jared Farrish
Intermediate Web Developer

Abraham Maslow: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see
every problem as a nail." $$