Re: Adserver programming with php

On Sat, May 19, 2007 7:15 pm, Merlin wrote:
> I am thinking about creating a kind of adserver which is customized
> for
> my needs.

The odds on your needs being THAT different from the existing dozens
of highly customizable adservers seems remote...

Save yourself a TON of money and do more research :-)

> As I would be most confident in doing this with php, I am
> asking myself if this is the right choice or if it would be wiser to
> take a C++ aproach for example to get a higher performance just in
> case
> the site grows fast.
> Do you guys think that a php build webserver would be able to scale
> and
> perform well enough for serving millions of adimpressions daily?

There are PHP sites handling millions of impressions daily, and that's
not even all that tricky, as I understand it...

What you might consider, if you decide to go down this path at all, is
to write it in PHP with an eye to developing a custom PHP extension by
re-writing your PHP code in C once you've worked out all the details.

This would give you the rapid prototyping and flexibility of PHP in
the early days, and satisfy any reasonable need for speed after you
are suitably crusty to not feel the need to make sudden changes, by
just porting the PHP code to C code.

Shouldn't be too hard to discipline yourself to only write PHP that
you know how to convert to C -- and, really, PHP ends up as byte-code
executed by C, so worst-case is you could dig into PHP Internals to
figure out what your tricky PHP is doing...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?