When does PHP free-up memory allocated to it?

Hi,

Quick question - does anyone know when PHP actually frees allocated
memory during the process of a script? I'm using 5.2.2. For example I
see the following results when profiling:

Memory: 256 KB
Load a 1024x768 JPEG (via GD)
Memory: 4 MB
Create thumbnail (via GD)
Memory: 5.2 MB
Destroy original image resource (imagedestroy)
Memory: 5.2 MB

I would have expected (or rather, hoped) that the memory use would
have dropped down quite dramatically after destroying the image
resource that was using up nearly 4MB of memory, but it didn't seem to
change.

Is this a limitation of the memory_get_usage(true) function, or does
imagedestroy not actually do what it implies?

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"