Re: A Guide to running Apache 2, PHP 4 & PHP 5 on Windows XP

Richard Davey wrote:
Sure, but you're in the minority*, so what do I care? :)

* I just took the Zend PHP IDE research poll, and at the end it gives
you the chance to view the stats of everyone else who took the poll.
Interestingly, 70% of them use Windows XP for development.

I actually use a combination of Vista and OS X, which puts me in the
11% and 19% categories respectively.

I find it funny that the addition of the numbers above would logically put me in the 0% category.

My $0.02...I use Linux almost 100% of the time at work, and consider myself to be a "linux guy". That said, I disagree with people who discard Windows as an option. If you develop in PHP, chances are pretty good that more than 85% of the people you're developing for will use Windows to view your end result. In my book, that makes a WAMP workstation/laptop a pretty good self-contained development environment.

"Argumentum ad populum" doesn't apply in the usage-for-development case. It's not asking "If everyone else jumped off a bridge would you jump too?" It's asking "If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you design your bridge with a soft fluffy landing spot?"

jon