Re: PHP debugger

On 5/16/07, Arno Kuhl <akuhl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Miles Thompson [mailto:milesthom@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 16 May 2007 02:15
To: PHP List
Subject: Re:  PHP debugger

< snipped some trivial comments>

On 5/16/07, Arno Kuhl <akuhl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you don't see any change in phpinfo then maybe it's not picking up the
> dbg extension in your php.ini. Presumably you've also put the other
debugger
> directives in your ini?
>
> You can also try download the trial version of PHPEd from Nusphere,
install
> that, and check how it configures the debugger. The trial lasts a month I
> think, so maybe you'll sort out your problems in that time anyway. Just be
> sure to completely uninstall it afterwards because I think the free dbg
> version is not the same as the version integrated in PHPEd. Any version
> differences cause the extension to not load, though in that case it should
> report an error. You can't use the dbg integrated in PHPEd after uninstall
> because it doesn't work without PHPEd.
>
> Arno

From my php.ini ....
; added debug extension "dbg.so-5.2.x" and
; see [debugger] section of this file -  20050515 - mthompson
;
extension=dbg.so  ;dbg.so-5.2.x

and the [debugger] section ...
; Added [debugger] section 20050515 - mthompson
; Note:  DBG versions 2.15 (free) does not support debugger.hosts_allow,
; debugger.hosts_deny or debugger.ports settings.
;
[debugger]
debugger.enabled=on
debugger.profiler_enabled=on
debugger.hosts_allow= <<inserted domain and IP number here>>
debugger.hosts_deny=ALL
debugger.ports=7869, 10000/16
; end [debugger] section

Couple of notes:
1. Tried this with extension pointing to both dbg.so and dbg.so-5.2.x.
(The latter is what the instructions specified, but that did not seem
correct.)

2. Also tried it, in combination with above, with  debugger.hosts_allow,
debugger.hosts_deny and debugger.ports all commented out.

3. PHP version is 5.2.1, compiled from source on a Ubuntu Edgy Eft server.

I'm wondering it I should download the source and compile it. That
might be a better way home than assuming the binary is correct.

Arno, your suggestion to install the NuSphere editor is a good one.
I'm just reluctant to add more junk to my Windows box and to allow
something other than atp-get / dselect to mess with server
configuration. (Although it is a development box, so errors are not
terminal!)

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Regards - Miles

--

Hi Miles

I'm not sure I follow your configuration - are you running on Windows or
Linux? You shouldn't need to compile anything as far as I'm aware, just use
the binaries.

I'm using PHPEd 5.0 for Windows, so my config won't be the same as yours.

My ini setup is:

================================
extension=php_dbg.dll-4.4.x

[debugger]
debugger.enabled=On
debugger.profiler_enabled=On
================================

I've been using PHPEd for about 3 years so there are several dbg files in my
extensions dir, but the latest is "php_dbg.dll-4.4.x" (that is the actual
file name in extensions directory) which coincides with the name in the ini
file, and the timestamp coincides with the ver 5.0 release date. According
to your description for your Linux box I reckon you should be using
"dbg.so-5.2.x" in your ini file and in your extensions dir.

From previous experience I know the dbg extension is very fussy. You can't
specify more than one dbg in your ini, and the dbg must be the correct one
for your platform and your version of php. You can't change the name of the
file, and if the binary is for one specific ver of php then you must have
that ver of php running. Any error here and it just doesn't work.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Arno

Arno,

Arno,

Thanks for providing the relevant bits of your php.ini. You just
reinforced all of the docs in a very positive way.

So in php.ini the lines in the [debugger] section which are not
supported by the free version are now commented out, the extension is
back to its original name and that's the name pointed to in php.ini.
Apache has been stopped and restarted.

Our version of PHP is 5.2.1, and I'm using dbg.so-5.2.x - should work.
Regretfully, it does not.

(Our clients are Windows and I do hope that we will be able to debug
remotely, when I finally  get this thing working.)

Regards - Miles