*From:* Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx>
*To:* C.R.Vegelin <cr.vegelin@xxxxxxxxx>
*Cc:* php-general@xxxxxxxxxxx
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 09, 2007 5:26 PM
*Subject:* Re:  getting $_ENV variables

    When I print_r($_ENV); from the CLI on 5.0.4 I get a bunch of results,
no problem.... but no $_ENV['OS'] variable.  Further, when I check my
phpinfo(); output, there are even fewer $_ENV variables printed than the CLI
offers.

    I'm not certain about this, Cor, but my guess is that PHP 5.x.x may
have altered the default $_ENV output to hide some of this information ---
which is a good thing, in my opinion, because then you won't just have some
run-of-the-mill script kiddie checking out the details of a box for known
security holes.

    Of course, that doesn't necessarily stop <? passthru('uname -a')."\n";
?> or checking the $_SERVER['SERVER_SIGNATURE'] variable for the OS
information.... so perhaps this response is just one of those white-bread

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

--