From: Richard Lynch [mailto:ceo@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:35 PM
To: Stut
Cc: WeberSites LTD; 'Robert Cummings'; 'Lester Caine';
php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Articles system

On Tue, May 8, 2007 2:50 pm, Stut wrote:
> WeberSites LTD wrote:
>> 1st, I never said I was any authority about anything :)
>> I'm just building the weber sites as a hobby...
>
> Hobby or not, when you publish information on the web without a big
> message saying "I have no frickin' idea what I'm talking about", you
> are
> presenting yourself as an authority on the subject. And when you
> answer
> questions on a mailing list with links to your site you are
> re-enforcing
> that point.

Just to play Devil's Advocate...

Are you suggesting that every site on the 'net, or even just those
which LOOK like worthy material, without such a disclaimer, IS
authoritative?...

:-)

Taking this a step further, or dragging it out into an open discussion:

I'm not a real huge fan of the folks on this list who post almost as
often as I with links to their own ad-revenue sites, but they are at
least (usually) on-topic and with valid information available to the
reader.

It might be better if they sprinkled in links to php.net or even
(gasp!) a "competitor's" site sometimes, but it's not like total
spamming, eh?

There are even times where I know that there is specific content on
such a site, and I'll recommend it.

SO where do you draw the line?

Seems to me we have to be reasonable about that.

And we also have to expect the Reader to at least have half a clue and
do some basic research about the source[s] of their info, and their
vested interests, and choose for themselves what info to pursue...
Though based on experience with some posts, that may be expecting more
than will actually happen.  Aim high. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?