Re: small picture into thumbnail

On Sun, April 29, 2007 11:15 am, Alain Roger wrote:
> I would like to know how i can display small sized picture in my web
> application ?
> I mean in my database, picture can have max. 500 Kb, however as on 1
> PHP
> page i will display 20 pictures at once, i do not want to force end
> users to
> download all 20 pictures (10Mb around) to have an overview.
>
> I would like directly on server to resize picture to display them to
> end
> user in format 100px*120px (for example) and like that size should be
> around
> 20 or 50Kb per picture.
> I was thinking to use imagecopyresized function for that, but will it
> no
> kill the server CPU and RAM ?

Depends how much traffic you get...

You could write a caching system so that oft-used images have their
thumbnails stored in static files.

Or you could cram the thumbnail into the DB in another field, and only
imagecopyresize it ONCE.

Or both.

If you're already cramming a 500K image into your DB, what's another
20K? :-)

Insert obligatory don't store images in DB flame-war here.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?