Re: Server-Side Speech --- New Project Discussion (PHP/C++ Developers?)

Daniel Brown wrote:
>    As a result of an ongoing thread, I am launching a project that should
> allow users on shared hosting accounts and other restricted Unix-like
> hosting systems to utilize text-to-speech synthesis, primarily the Festival
> TTS engine.  The goal of the project will be to create a miniature,
> portable
> TTS system that a user can upload to their hosting account and use right
> away, without the need to compile the system or have access to
> privileged-only libraries.
>
>    The ultimate aim here is for a user to be able to do the following, from
> start to finish:
>
>    1.) Determine a need for text-to-speech synthesis on the web.
>    2.) Locate this project.
>    3.) Download the compiled binaries and PHP source code.
>    4.) Upload the binaries and code to their existing hosting account.
>    5.) Set permissions on directories and configure the system as
> necessary.
>    6.) Integrate the system into their existing architecture and design.
>    7.) Use the system.
>
>    I may set up a small mailing list for the project, as well as a forum to
> use with development, bugtracking, et cetera.  I'm not entirely sure
> whether
> I will be hosting the entire project on one of my servers, or if I will use
> SourceForge for some or all of the hosting.
>
>    Anyone who's interested in jumping on, let me know.  We may not create a
> PHP-based TTS system, but we can do the next best thing.  Besides,
> everything has to start somewhere!

Two things spring to mind.

Are you just really talking about PHP bindings for the festival libraries?

Or are you talking about a hosted service that people can uses? e.g. I
made a festival server years ago that spoke the name of the song I was
playing... it worked over sockets and was pretty reliable. Are you
planning to offer similar or just make it easy for people to use
festival in PHP by themselves....

Not really clear what you want to do....

Col.